Across the length and breadth of our country the love for sarees in undeniable and true! No saree discussion is completes without the mention of the quintessential Kanchipuram silk saree. The appeal of Kanchipuram silk sarees is not only a passion but culture in our country.
With elegant and wide borders as well as vibrant and multihued motifs, the Kanchipuram silk saree is crafted in Kanchipuram, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. These traditional saree is a mélange of cotton and silk with ornamentation of zari and silk threads coated in liquid silver and gold.
As a Kanchipuram connoisseur you must know the best place to shop for Kanchipuram silk sarees. While some prefer to buy their bridal Kanchipuram ensemble from Kanchipuram, others believe that the designs and prices are far better in Chennai.
Here’s a detailed guide to helps you understand why Chennai is the best place to buy Kanchipuram silk sarees:
1) Chennai houses the finest Kanchipuram saree designers. The Kanchipuram trendsetters like @palam-silks# represented Tamilnadu in Vogue Wedding Show twice in a row, which is the most prestigious fashion event in India. @tulsi-silks-1# and @rmkv# have also had the pleasure of featuring their exclusive Kanchipuram collection in the Lakme Fashion Week.
2) A myth that has prevailed for years must be busted now – Kanchipuram doesn’t offer cheap silk sarees! The distance between Chennai Kanchipuram is a mere 2 hours and it is an assumption that silk customers believe profit percentage will be considerably lesser in a city which is merely 70kms away. This is a myth proven wrong multiple times.
3) Decades ago, Kanchipuram used to prevail as a market hub where weavers surrounding Kanchipuram brought their goods to Kanchipuram to sell their produce to silk merchants. This culture is no longer prevalent because silk merchants in Chennai have set their own looms around Kanchipuram’s to produce their own customized designs.
4) Chennai based Kanchipuram vendors like Palam Silks, have always remained close to the patrons. They understand the ever-evolving desires of their customers, and continue to offer an assortment of rich and radiant silk weaves in traditional as well as contemporary designs. Every week, close to 5,000 people across India visit Chennai to buy their Kanchipuram silk sarees and none have been disappointed in terms of design and quality.
5) Chennai is the hub of innovative Kanchipurams including but not limited to wonders like - RMKV's 60,000 colours in a saree, the longest saree, @pothys# Samudrika Pattu, Palam Silks' Slim fit Collection, matching mobile blouse collection and the unforgettable Chennai Express collection in collaboration with Deepika Padukone and Shahrukh Khan.
6) Chennai being a stronghold of prominent designers and retailers, they have kept the fashion pulse thumping unlike the retailers in Kanchipuram who still believe in the old being gold.
7) Not only sarees, Chennai is the hub of the best Kanchipuram blouse designers in the country. Kanchipuram is a fabric that is understood only by the people from this city. Simple falls, tassels and bridal blouses are designed best only by Chennai's blouse designers. Some notable names are - Studio 9696, Yuti Designer House and Poornima Bhagyaraj.
8) Most importantly, Chennai is the throne of the biggest silk sultan of India - Doctor Shri Nalli Kuppuswamy Chetti's @nalli-silks#. This name has been synonymous with Kanchipuram silk over a 100 years. With over 5 generations dedicating their lives towards making Kanchipuram silk a household name, this brand has taken Kanchipuram silk across the globe and houses close to 25 branches overseas.
In the end:
With so many options to choose from a vast and varied collection of Kanchipuram vendors in Chennai, you are likely to be spoilt for choice. Hopefully this detailed guide to shopping for Kanchipuram sarees in Chennai proves to be helpful.
Chennai is the best place to shop for Kanchipuram silk sarees - AGREE or DISAGREE, share your views in comments